Sunday, September 16, 2018

People in the History Field: Director of Education

What is your name, position, and organization you work for?
Thomas Frezza, Director of Education, The National Museum of the US Navy. The museum is a part of the Naval History and Heritage Command, which is a command of the Navy, located at the Washington Navy Yard.

What does your job entail? What do you do on a daily basis?
My job entails a wide range of responsibilities. As Director of Education, I am in charge of all education programming in the museum. This includes tours, lectures, and outreaches. I am also in charge of developing content for said tours, online programs, and videos. Another huge part of my day to day is scheduling all of these events, along with guided and self-guided tours. I have two other staff members under me, who assist with everything and also cover visitor services duties. This goes on daily, monthly, and yearly. We also take part in outreaches to historic sites, museum ships, air shows, fleet weeks, and Navy weeks.

Do you think you need a degree to get this job?
Yes, I think you do need a degree to get this job. I have a Masters in History, though I think a Masters in Educator would also qualify a candidate.

How did you get started in this line of work?
I have a background in history that goes back several years. For almost three years, I worked for the National Park Service in the Education Department at Harpers Ferry National Historic Park. From there I moved to the National Museum of Civil War Medicine, where I worked in several positions, working my way up. I applied to my current job two years ago through the federal process and was able to get it.

How did others get their start? Are there other ways in?
I think there are several ways to get your start. I always credit varied experience in the history field in giving me a step up above over candidates. Its a long way to do it, but you will be better rounded and ready for any situation.

How do you get a job in your position? What are the steps?
I searched for and applied on USA Jobs, which is where all federal jobs are posted.

How do you progress in this line of work?
Very slowly. Once you are in the federal service, you have to wait about three years before you can really move on (and up) with safety. And you have to do it yourself by applying for jobs that step you up.

Why do you like this position? What are the benefits? Are these typical?
I like this job because the education department is the public face of the museum. I enjoy talking with people, answering questions, and making sure they leave with a little more knowledge then what they came in with.

What do you not like about this position? What are some of the drawbacks? Are these typical? 
I don't like the fact that the museum is on an active military base and that can be difficult for the general public to visit. This is typical for most Department of Defense [DOD] museums. It is one of the reasons why I rely heavily on outreaches.

Is this a rapidly growing field? Is it possible to predict future needs for workers in this field? 
I don't think this is a rapidly growing field. Jobs, at times, can be few and far between, and entry level positions are even rarer. I think in the future that will change, with a whole generation reaching retirement age. But it all depends on the government continuing to fund the DOD museum. 

Consider the phrase: "Knowing what I know now, I would so something differently"? What would you do?
I would stay the course, but if I could, or had the choice, I would have stayed with the National Park Service. I enjoyed my time with the Green and Grey [the uniform of the NPS is a grey shirt and green trousers]

What would be the best thing you could suggest to someone if they wanted to be a Director of Education?
Get all the experience you can, and make sure that it is varied.

Is this a position that you would recommend to others as a line or work to get into?
Yes, without a doubt. I am able to reach many people, including veterans, and the experience is amazing.

A lot of people are concerned about what the pay would be for their jobs, what kind of answer would you give to answer that question?
I am doing very well. My position is a GS-11, and my wife and I are very comfortable. What blew me away is that I have retirement and health insurance, which I did not have when working for a private non-profit. 

Thank you Tom, for spending the time to answer my questions! You can see more about Tom's work at this link: https://www.history.navy.mil/content/history/museums/nmusn.html

No comments:

Post a Comment