Tuesday, August 28, 2018

People in the History Field: Chief of Interpretation


What is your name, position, and organization you work for?
My name is Stacy Humphreys and I am the Chief of Interpretation and Resource Management at Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historical Park, one unit of the National Park Service.

What does your job entail? What do you do on a daily basis?
In my current position, I oversee the Division of Interpretation at the park. This means Park Rangers you see that greet you at the park's information desk, or give a program to the visitor public; that is the division I supervise. I am also responsible for the care and upkeep of the park's natural and cultural resources. As far as what I do on a daily basis, there are no two days that are alike and that is one of the things I really love about my job! I deal with different things on different days. It can be challenging but that also helps keep my job fresh and enjoyable for me as well.

Abraham Lincoln Birthplace NHP Memorial Building
What other responsibilities do you have? Things that happen weekly, monthly, yearly, or specially?
Besides overseeing the Division of Interpretation, I oversee the daily operations at the Birthplace Visitors Center, Memorial Building, and Boyhood Home Unit of the park. I also oversee the park's Volunteer-In-Parks Program, Education Program, Distance Learning Program, and various special events such as the annual education event called Walk Through Lincoln's Life. I also am the person who hires the seasonal and intern staff for our division so I have to review resumes, conduct interviews, and make reference calls related to this duty. For the Resource Management side of things I do the necessary compliance documentation related to any project that we do here at the park. For example, if there is a ground disturbance involved (especially in sensitive areas) I have to do the proper compliance review and documentation for this. Another exciting thing we are currently working on here at the park is the development and design of the new interpretive exhibits for the future Boyhood Home Unit Visitors Center that is set to open in a few years.

Do you think you need a degree to get this job?
Yes, for most NPS jobs you do need a degree to be hired. My background is History. I have a BA in History and a minor in Business Administration and I have an MA in History with an emphasis in 19th century American Studies, Parks and Recreation, and Public History.

How did you get started in this line of work?
Stacy Humphreys and her mentor, Becky Lyons,
at Gettysburg
I have been a history geek my entire life! I grew up going to Civil War battlefields. So, when I was getting ready to go to college I knew that I wanted to major in history. For many years, one of the favorite vacation spots for my family was Gettysburg National Military Park. One of the Rangers, Becky Lyons (my NPS mentor) pulled me aside one day after she knew I was getting ready to graduate with my BA in History and asked if I had considered being a Park Ranger and working for the NPS. I told her that I had always admired Park Rangers but didn't know how to become one, but I thought that this is something I would like to do. She arranged for me to have an interview with her boss for an internship position at the park for the following summer and that is how my NPS career was started!

How did others get their start? Are there other ways in? There are other ways in! Some start as an intern (such as myself) or park volunteer. Other folks start by working a seasonal job with Interpretation or another division. It's all about getting a "foot in the door" and getting some experience that you can put on a resume.

How do you get a job in your position? What are the steps? In my career, I have worked at 6 different National Parks. I always tell individuals who might be interested in the NPS to be flexible and be willing to move and to take jobs that aren't always your "dream job" but that entry-level job will get you where you want to be!

The symbolic birthplace cabin
How do you progress in this line of work?
I have been blessed to always work in the history field. When I was 18, and the summer I graduated from high school, I was able to get a summer job at a local state park neat where I grew up called Pricketts Fort State Park, located in Fairmont, WV. I worked there summers while I was in college. I started out working in the visitor center and gift shop selling entry passes to the fort, dusting museum cases and making sales in the gift shop. In the 4 summers I worked there, I eventually worked my way up to being a historical interpreter at the Job Prickett House at the park, which is a Civil War era home, The summer I graduated with my BA in History, I worked as a Park Intern at Gettysburg Military Park. I worked there the following summer as a seasonal Park Ranger. When I was getting ready to graduate with my MA, I was offered a job as a Park Guide (permanent!) at Independence National Park and after a short time there I moved on to the National Mall in Washington, DC. I had been offered a Park Ranger position and for many folks this is what you have to do: you have to move around to get different positions/jobs to gain more experience in preparation for your next position within the NPS. After just over a year on the National Mall, I moved on to Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park in Virginia. This was a great job as I got to work a 4 major battlefields of the Civil War and I also served as the park's certified Historic Weapons Supervisor. I was able to obtain a working 12 pdr Napoleon cannon [fires a 12 lb. projectile] that we used during living history programs. That cannon was my baby! After 6 years at Fredericksburg, I got my first supervisory position at the Gateway Arch National Park (then called the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial) in St. Louis. I helped oversee the day-to-day operations of the Gateway Arch visitor center including moving visitors to the top of the arch in the tram. After about 2 years there I was offered my current position at Abraham Lincoln Birthplace.


Co-workers
Why do you like this position? What are the benefits? Are these typical? I like the constant changing nature of my job. What I do today, I will probably do different things tomorrow. I also enjoy working with people, both my staff and the visiting public. There are benefits with my job: we get paid vacation and sick leave as well as health and retirement benefits. This is very typical for a Federal Government job.

What do you not like about this position? What are some of the drawbacks? Are these typical? 
As mentioned this is a Federal Government job so there is a bit of bureaucracy and paperwork that goes with it that can be trying at times.

Is this a rapidly growing field? Is it possible to predict future needs for workers in this field? 
As far as is this rapidly growing or future needs: I know the NPS will always need people who are willing to be Park Rangers. As long as you remain flexible and are willing to move and BE PERSISTENT you will probably be able to find some type of job within the NPS.

Do you agree with the phrase: "Knowing what I know now, I would so something differently"? What would you do?
No! Knowing what I know I would still work for the NPS. Now I would probably make a few smaller decisions about certain moves in my career a little differently. But without a doubt, I would still want to work for the NPS!

What would be the best thing you could suggest to someone if they wanted to be a Chief of Interpretation?
1) Remain flexible - you never know what opportunities you may have when you accept a job that's out of your comfort zone

2) Have a Good Sense of Humor! Don't be afraid to laugh at yourself of any situation that you might find yourself in.

3) Be Persistent! I know folks who have sent out 250 job applications just to get a seasonal position. DON'T GIVE UP!

4) Have Fun! Get out and see the country! You can do it by working for the NPS!

Is this a position that you would recommend to others as a line or work to get into?
Yes! I'm not saying its perfect or that I don't get discouraged at times. But it makes me feel good knowing that I'm part of something that is bigger than myself and that I am helping to take care of things and places "for future generations" that will be around long after I am gone. And to help to (hopefully) inspire that next generation of Park Rangers!

A lot of people are concerned about what the pay would be for their jobs, what kind of answer would you give to answer that question?
Currently I'm a GS-11. The GS pay scale is available online so anyone can look it up. Starting out, entry-level Park Ranger or Park Guide would start out at a GS-04 or a GS-05. For an individual this is not too difficult but you have to mind what you spend especially if you live in an urban area. Once you start moving up through the ranks at the GS-07, 09 or 11 then yes, a family of 4 could live off of this pay.

Thank you, Stacy Humphreys, for spending the time to answer my questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment