Sunday, August 19, 2018

People in the History Field: Museum Curator of Education


Some fun at our 2017 Young Historians Summer Day Camp
What is your name, position, and organization you work for?
Traci Manning, Curator of Education, Mahoning Valley Historical Society – Youngstown, Ohio

What does your job entail? What do you do on a daily basis?
I oversee all of our public and school programming. We serve nearly 11,000 students and visitors each year with a myriad of programs. I have been in this position for just over six years and in that time I have created a 3-pronged approach to programming – Curriculum Programs, Public Programs, and Family and Youth Programs. The bulk of our work is in PreK-12 Curriculum based programming, serving approximately 6,500 local students and teachers each year. We offer a wide mix of “Suitcase” programs which bring our museum into the classroom. These programs are led by myself or one of the Museum Educators I supervise, aligned to curriculum standards, and are based in interactive learning. We also offer Learning Resource Kits for teachers to borrow, custom program and curriculum development, professional development, and teacher in-service days. Our Public Programs are designed to engage our diverse local audience through exhibit openings, evening lectures, walking tours, lunch and learn programs, workshops, a Speaker’s Bureau, behind-the-scenes tours, and special events. Family and Youth Programs include our popular Summer History Camps, Hands-On-History Open House programs, Scout programs, and other general outreach events in the community.

Pioneer Life Program at Damascus Elementary School
As with many people in similar positions, no day is a normal day. This position offers a huge variety from day to day. One day, I might be out at a school teaching 6-hour long programs to 4th graders about local Native American history. The next day, I might be speaking to a local club about women’s history during the Civil War. Following that, I might be assisting with exhibit research or attending to more administrative issues such as program scheduling, creating marketing materials, or cleaning our classroom spaces (an on-going thing!)

What other responsibilities do you have? Things that happen weekly, monthly, yearly, or specially?
I have a number of other responsibilities – as many of us who work in medium sized non-profit museums do. Our staff has 9 full-time employees, 7 permanent part-time employees, and 15 part-time paid tour guides. I supervise, train, and evaluate a team of Museum Educators and interns. I serve as our Volunteer Coordinator, interviewing and assigning new volunteers and working to maintain current ones. I do quite a bit of marketing – program flyers, window displays, digital marketing (including social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram), TV and radio interviews, and brochures.

I help with various special events – designing a huge exhibit space for an annual holiday exhibit at our 1905 historic house museum. I also coordinate a massive effort for our largest fundraiser – Cookie Table and Cocktails. I oversee 75+ bakers and coordinate the drop-off and organization of more than 10,000 cookies. I also organize the judging of those cookies with 50 judges in a bracket category system. This responsibility was taken out of necessity as this fundraiser raises more than $20,000 a year for our organization. While it’s one of the busiest things I do, it’s also one of the most fun!
Local Industry Program at Warren JFK Lower Campus

Beyond that, I assist with other things as needed. As a senior staff member, I am involved in our weekend rotation, overseeing our other site - Tyler Mahoning Valley History Center one weekend a month. I represent our organization in a group of other area museums and cultural centers, known as the Mahoning Cultural Collaborative.

Do you think you need a degree to get this job?
Yes. This position is a senior level position and I supervise a number of people. I have a BA in Religion, a MA in Applied History, and a post-graduate certificate in Curriculum and Instruction in Secondary Social Studies Education. Many people in museum work have History degrees, but I found that taking the extra step in Education set me apart.

How did you get started in this line of work?
I started as an intern with the National Park Service. That internship led me to a year-round position that I had for more than 5 years with the National Park Service.

How did others get their start? Are there other ways in?
There are many ways into this line of work, but I think those with the most success are willing to start at the bottom and work their way up. Internships, volunteering, and other entry level positions are very important in building skills and learning the things that a classroom education can never teach.

How do you get a job in your position? What are the steps?
Our American Alliance of Museums site visit for our
reaccreditation in the summer of 2017
Continuing my previous answer, I think the willingness to start at the bottom is important. I understand that not everyone is in a position to work an unpaid internship or a low paying part time job, but I have found that most employers will work with you if you need to schedule around another paid position elsewhere. I have seen many people leave this field for work in the for-profit community or in a completely unrelated field, but those who are able to stick it out eventually find success. It isn’t easy, but I believe it’s worth it if waiting is a possibility for you.

How do you progress in this line of work?
At my current organization, the only potential upward movement would be as our Executive Director, who I directly report to. I am not in a position, currently, to want that level of administrative responsibility. There’s an old saying that the higher you go, the more boring the job. I believe that’s very true. I find that I am teaching less and less, and am stuck at my desk more and more as I progress in this position. Beyond this organization, progress would be moving to a larger museum system with a similar job but overseeing a much larger program and audience.

Why do you like this position? What are the benefits? Are these typical?
I love 90% of my job, and I think most people who love their job would agree with that. Of course there are things that frustrate me, but I am generally very happy here. I have a lot of creative freedom and trust from my Executive Director, and that means the world to me. I’d also consider that one of the best benefits of this position. The pay isn’t great, but I survive. Other benefits include paid time off, medical and personal leave, health insurance, and a retirement package with employer contributions. These things aren’t super common at small or medium sites and I am very lucky that our Board of Directors works to take great care of us. We also have the freedom to excel in our positions and seek professional development opportunities.

Cookie Table and Cocktails 2018
- it's a tough job!
What do you not like about this position? What are some of the drawbacks? Are these typical?
I struggle with the size of the staff and taking on responsibilities that take me away from my priorities or out of my comfort zone. Other drawbacks would be very typical in any field – differing opinions with other staff members, limited budgets, and so on.

Is this a rapidly growing field? Is it possible to predict future needs for workers in this field?
I hope museum education is growing, but I think it needs to evolve to survive. We need to get away from traditional museum experiences and find new ways to reach the public and students. We need to meet them where they are and not where they were 30 years ago.  

"Knowing what I know now, I would do something differently"? What would you do?

Actually no. I always wanted to work in this field, even since I was a young kid. Growing up, I only ever wanted to be a National Park Service Ranger and I was lucky enough to be in that position for many years. Leaving the NPS was very difficult for me, but I have found that I really enjoy the non-profit museum world. I have a lot more freedom but I am still teaching and interpreting local history, working with the public, and living the dream.


What would be the best thing you could suggest to someone if they want to be a Museum Education Curator?
If someone wants to become a leading museum educator or in charge of an education department, I’d suggest learning your field of study but also learning about Education. Take education classes, work with teachers, learn about curriculum standards and school/child psychology, and hone your teaching skills just as much as you’d hone your historian (or other) skills.


Is this a position that you would recommend to others as a line of work to get into?
I’d recommend anyone to follow their dreams. This field is fun and rewarding, but it’s stressful and fast-paced. I know many museum educators who transition out of education and into other museum fields after 10 or so years due to the stressful nature. I am still passionate after more than 13 years in this field but I understand how people can get burnt out. No museum field is easy to get into, but anything is possible.


Would a single person just starting this position be able to make ends meet with the salary? Would a person with a family and two children be able to make ends meet in the middle of the salary range?
My salary is on the low end of normal but I am fortunate enough to live in a region that has a very affordable cost of living. I am not sure if someone in this position could support children without additional income from a spouse or partner. I live relatively well, but there are definitely times when finances are an issue. I don’t think too many people get into the non-profit world to make money; I think we do it for the work and the impact we can have. We all have to be able to live, of course, but the fringe benefits of this position make up for quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment